One of Reiki’s most exceptional qualities is its ability to meet and transcend the limitations of Earth-based reality, especially those of space and time. The ease with which Reiki transcends these linear concepts became stunningly evident when the global pandemic began its onslaught more than a year ago. Personal interactions were severely curtailed as many individuals and businesses scrambled to adapt to a rapidly changing and destabilizing landscape. However, for Reiki practitioners trained at Level 2 or above, the transition was seamless as they shifted to distance (remote) healing work. My professional Reiki practice was among those that transitioned entirely to remote work in early 2020, which included animal and human Reiki sessions. (1)
Unlike many of my colleagues who practiced Animal Reiki primarily in-person, I have always conducted sessions with animals remotely. More than ten years ago, after a frightening emotional experience at a local animal shelter, Reiki’s guidance told me that I could better serve the animals by remaining physically distant. Reiki reminded me of my extreme sensitivity to animals’ feelings, sometimes to the detriment of my wellbeing. Reiki’s gentle voice assured me that the physical separation would allow its healing energy to flow unimpeded by any emotions I may be experiencing and that the impact would be far more manageable. Reiki’s advice was sound, and I have followed this guidance ever since then.
As we know, Reiki is a spiritually guided life energy and can benefit everything within the Universe without exception. Its loving energy is a wonderful gift, not only for the animals we care for but also those we care about.
Distant Animal Reiki is similar to distant Reiki for humans. The practitioner channels the healing energy through their hands to the animal client, regardless of physical location, through focused intent. The animal’s needs draw the Reiki energy, which flows to where it is most needed. As with human clients, it always works for the animal’s highest good, making it an excellent complement to medical or behavioral treatment.
With that in mind, over the years I have noted appreciable advantages to conducting distant Reiki for animals, as listed below. There is a great deal of overlap among these points, but each is worthy of mentioning.
- Animal remains in familiar surroundings — If the animal client is ill, traumatized, or frightened, traveling to a Reiki session may be inadvisable. Being in a strange place, with its accompanying sights, sounds, and scents, can easily exacerbate the problem, creating even more fearfulness and distress. In contrast, a remote Reiki session provides all the healing benefits without additional stress to the animal.
- Animal is with familiar human(s) — A traumatized or sick animal may not respond appropriately to an approaching stranger (the Reiki practitioner), even if the meeting takes place in the animal’s home. This is especially true if the animal is very protective of their territory and humans. When working with animals, safety for the animal and the practitioner must always come first.
- Animal is more relaxed and receptive — A calm animal will be more open and willing to receive Reiki. Before beginning a Reiki session, I always connect with the animal and request permission to share Reiki with them. Animals have the right to accept or decline, and we, as Reiki practitioners, must respect that right. And, of course, consent and acceptance are much more likely when the animal is in familiar surroundings with familiar people. The receptivity enhances the healing process and optimizes its benefits.
- Convenience and comfort for the Animal’s “Person” — Our animals often mirror our emotional state, and the mood of a beloved human affects the animal’s behavior and disposition. (2, 3, 4) With that in mind, the practitioner must consider the comfort and convenience of the animal’s caregiver. Just as the animal is most comfortable in familiar surroundings, so is the caregiver. Distant Reiki allows for this convenience, further enhancing the healing benefits
- Convenience for the Practitioner — The ability to offer Reiki to animals from the comfort of my home office is truly a blessing. Reiki’s powerful healing benefits are unrestricted by time or space, and I am always grateful for the opportunity to connect with individuals and their animals across the globe.
- Expands Reiki’s reach — Distant Reiki broadens each practitioner’s ability to share its healing energy. At this time in human history, the need for healing has never been greater — for all living creatures. As Reiki practitioners, it is incumbent upon each of us to offer its healing however and wherever we can. Reiki’s guidance indicates that distant Reiki is, and will continue to be, a tremendous influence in shifting the energy of the planet.
- A Buffer for HSPs (Highly Sensitive Practitioners) — As mentioned earlier, many years ago, I attempted to offer Reiki to animals in a local shelter as a volunteer. Unfortunately, the first time was also the last. As I sat in the shelter channeling Reiki, the animals’ energies were powerful and overwhelming — I physically and emotionally experienced their anger, fear, sadness, and grief. It felt as if I was drowning in their sea of sorrows. Shaken, breathless, and confused, I fled the shelter. Later that day, while I sat in meditation, Reiki helped me understand that maintaining a physical distance would allow me to serve the animals’ needs best while also caring for my energies. From that moment on, I conducted all my work with animals via remote, even when volunteering at the local shelter. As an HSP, I have learned, with Reiki’s guidance, to honor the unique sensitivities that are an integral part of my makeup. With distant Reiki, my extreme sensitivity to the animals’ emotions is far more manageable. Happily, that same sensitivity provides a window for understanding and communicating with the animal client, and the physical distance protects against emotional overwhelm.
In retrospect, I realize that Reiki’s guidance has continuously led me to work with its loving energy in ways that are just right for me while simultaneously providing the best possible outcome for those with whom I share Reiki, whether they are animal or human. Reiki always gives us what we need in our mission to deliver light and healing to a world so desperately in need.